Friday 15 March 2013

diy: birdcage necklace




I'm not sure if this really counts as a diy...haha.  It kind of feels like I'm cheating!  I suppose I'm just drawn to simple projects, especially when making my own jewellery.  It doesn't have to be super complicated or expensive, and it feels nice to put stuff together yourself.


I found this darling birdcage pendant on sale at Michaels, and I just couldn't pass it up.  If you haven't noticed, I go to Michaels a lot.  Definitely a bit obsessed!  Their prices are a bit ridiculous, but if you have a coupon, or can spot a good sale, then you're good to go!


Materials:
-pendant
-chain
-jump ring
-pliers (or just very strong fingers!)


Directions:
First loop your jump ring through your pendant, and hold.  Then find the exact middle of your chain, and loop that chain through the jump ring as well.  Finally, use pliers (or strong fingers!) to close the jump ring.  Voila!  That's all!

Now I always make sure that my pendant, chain and jump rings all match since I'm a bit ocd.  There are so many variations of golds, coppers, and silvers that it can be a bit tricky!  I've found that sticking with the same brand makes matching much easier!  

Also, you may want to buy a longer length of chain, and then have the option to cut it into lengths.  You'll then need to purchase clasps as well, but those are super easy to attach to your chain...so experiment with whatever works best for you!


I love that this piece of jewellery is nearly one of a kind, and it always feels nice to work with your hands a bit!


And thanks goes to my gorgeous roomie for putting up with all my crazy blog stuff...and for modelling the necklace!  I am so blessed to have such patient and supportive friends!


p.s. ♥ kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...